Monday, July 21, 2008

Maximum effort Black Box template

Guys,

We are going to start a maximum effort periodization schedule for a little while here. Now, stick with me. This schedule is from a guy named Coach Rut that is a very educated strength and conditioning coach that has a Crossfit background. ME or "Maximum effort" is just that, a set rep and round schedule that focuses on your maximum effort. Black box just refers to the fact that you dont really know what happens, just that when you put something into the black box (effort) you get great results on the other side of the box. (metaphorically) So, you put in to get out, that kind of thing. I will program this with the assumption that you are resting on the weekends, so we will do a 5 on 2 off schedule (M-F on, S&S off) We will do 3 ME days (M,W,F), and 2 Crossfit Metcon workouts this week(T,T) Then next week, we will shift and do 3 Crossfit Metcon(M,W,F) and 2 ME days (T,T) The ME days will concentrate on core lifts that will increase your strength, and the Crossfit Metcon days will focus on increasing your metabolic endurance. Stick with me here guys, you will see strength gains if you apply yourselves. A Maximum effort day has a little different mentality to it then a Crossfit day. Plan accordingly. Anyway, enough babbling, here is today's ME program...

5 x 5 of Power Clean and Jerk

THEN 3 rounds of 20 kipping pullups
15 GHD situps for time

The Power Clean and Jerks are just that. You start from the ground, and clean the weight. You do not have to go into a deep squat on a power clean. After cleaning the weight, readjust, and jer the weight overhead. Thats one rep. Do 5 total, then adjust the weight up, and repeat. Do 5 sets. Your last set should be around 85% of your 1rm for a Power Clean and Jerk. After you have completed your 5 x 5, take a short rest, and do the three rounds of kipping pullups and GHD situps, crossfit style. In other words, do 20 kipping pullups and then 15 GHD situps, and repeat for three rounds for time. Thats your workout for today. Trust me guys, give this programming a try for this 3o day cycle, and let me know what you think. You will see a difference in your strength, I promise. Have a great day, talk to you soon. If you want instruction on the power cleans, I will do this workout with you guys today at lunch.

4 comments:

Craig S said...

Sounds good, I like your plan. I certainly need some strength gains.
I have to get it where I can, so the weekend is when I go big. I'll take a day of rest and catch back up with you guys on tuesday. By default 3 on 1 off works best for me. I don't program rest days normally as I know I will have to miss a day every few because of a busy schedule.

st8we said...

Tailor the programming to your needs Craig. If you are doing 3 on 1 off, and thats working for you, then good on you. On your 3 on, hit up ME, Crossfit, ME, then rest, then Crossfit, and ME for your other 2 days for the cycle. We all could use some strength, and theres nothing better than the O-lifts and the "slow" lifts to get some strength. I dont normally do "rest" days, other than the weekend, so I am programming a tough week to ensure I rest on the weekends now, instead of "grabbing" a workout on the weekend cause I feel like it. Rest has to be just as important, if not more important than working out, or you will edge into the overtraining side, especially when hitting up ME days. Good luck.

Maj Mills said...

I did a couple of workouts while on leave, so getting back into it today with one of last weeks WODs. Did the 20 min of 15 push-ups, 12 ring dips, and 9 push press with 115# all as Rx'd. Completed 5 rounds plus all the push-ups into round 6.

st8we said...

Here are my 5X5 Power Clean and Jerk results.

155 for 5
175 for 5
185 for 5 (PR for 5)
190 for 5 (PR for 5)
195 for 5 (PR for 5)

Overall, extremely pleased with my output today. The 185 was my previous PR for 3, and I have never even attempted 190 or 195 for 1, let alone 5, and I stuck em both today, so I was happy with it, to say the least. Everyone did pretty well overall today. Worked allot on speed with everyone, and getting their body around that bar. SPEED, SPEED, and more SPEED is the name of the game. You guys will get there. You all got better throughout the workout. Good job. See you all tomorrow.